Tiramisu Mille Crepe Cake

Happy New Year!  Whether your 2015 was fantastic or full of challenges, hope that 2016 brings you joy.

Tiramisu Mille Crepe Cake

As this may very well be my last New Year’s Eve living in NYC, I was extremely excited to spend it in Times Square.  I definitely don’t have the patience to wait in lines for hours – some of the people closest to the stage must have been waiting since the morning! – but fortunately my friend’s office party had a great view staring right at the ball as it dropped:

IMG_4350

Good view, good times, good friends both old and new.  What better way to celebrate an end and a beginning?

I think that part of the glitz and glam surrounding NYE celebrations is twofold – celebrating the good things from last year and hoping for good things to come.  The mille crepe cake, literally meaning thousand crepe cake, is the perfect indulgent dessert to ring in a new year of prosperity.  And the best way to make it even more indulgent?  Why, throw in some heavy cream, mascarpone, and Kahlua of course.  Happy tiramisu crepe cake year!

IMG_4346

I should note that this is the first time I’ve ever made crepes… so believe me when I say that this daunting-looking dessert is a lot easier to make than it looks!  Despite the name, only about 15-20 crepes are needed.  A google search for “foolproof crepes” led me to Alton Brown’s recipe, which certainly did well enough for this crepe newbie.  The creamy, boozy filling is actually a Tiramisu Dip recipe from Port and Fin which I’ve made before for a dip competition at work.  If you like your crepe cake heavy on the filling, then feel free to double the recipe.  After all, NYE only comes once a year, right?

IMG_4361

Tiramisu Mille Crepe Cake

makes one cake, 12 good size slices

crepes – adapted from Alton Brown

  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk of choice – I used unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons Kahlua
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted + 1 tablespoon for the pan

tiramisu filling – adapted from Port and Fin

  • 1 tub mascarpone approximately 275g
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Kahlua
  • cocoa powder for dusting (less than a tablespoon)
  1. Using a blender, food processor, or hand mixer, mix together all the ingredients for the crepe batter (minus the 1 tablespoon butter for the pan) for about 10 pulses.  Alternatively you can whisk by hand, but you may want to sift the flour first to make the mixing process easier.
  2. Chill the batter for at least an hour or up to 48 hours.
  3. Heat a swipe of butter in a nonstick pan to medium/medium-high heat.  Ladle about 1/4 cup or 1 oz of batter into the pan and quickly swirl to spread out the batter.  Try to swirl it in a circular shape as much as possible.
  4. Cook until the edges have browned well.  Using a fish spatula or other stiff, good sized spatula, flip the crepe.  Cook for 30-45 seconds on the other side before removing to a plate on the side.  Repeat until the rest of the batter is used up, swiping the pan with more butter if needed.
  5. The recipe should make around 17-22 crepes, so feel free to eat some of the misshapen ones to, er, taste test 😉 Set aside crepes to cool.  Crepes can be frozen for future use as well!
  6. To make the dip, first beat the mascarpone for a minute then add the rest of the ingredients and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
  7. If crepes are frozen, thaw.  Select 15-20 of the best crepes, roughly the same size.  Going one layer at a time, alternate layers of crepe and filling.  An offset spatula works best for this, but you can just use the back of a spoon as well.
  8. You can serve immediately or chill until serving.  Dust with cocoa powder right before serving.

Nutritional description: how many times have I said indulgence in this post?  I’ll say it again: this dessert is indulgent with a dotted i and crossed t’s.  But hey, what I like to say is eat 80% healthy, and the other 20% is for mental health.  Enjoy!

Nutritional information: Calories 320, Total Fat 25.5g, Saturated Fat 14.3g, Cholesterol 101mg, Carbs 16.4g, Fiber 0.2g, Sugars 9g, Protein 4.8g, Sodium 46.8mg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s